The main differences are:
- Pre-universal consoles were manufactured before mid 1996. During that time is when the console was UL listed.
- The CPU and Power supply tray are exposed. In the Universal consoles, both trays are encased in silver.
- The power switch is a 2-pole keyswitch. The Universal consoles incorporated a rocker arm switch on the back of the console.
- The dip switches for networking are on the CPU tray on the Pre-Universal. The Universal has them on the back of the console.
- Pre-Universal consoles have a 40 watt switching power supply. The Universal has a 50 Watt Switching.
- In most Pre-Universal consoles, MIDI and SMPTE were purchasable options. In Universal consoles MIDI is standard.
- Pre-Universal consoles do not support "swapping of the pairs" for UTP.